Hardwood floors need to be cleaned and maintained with care and consideration. Keeping your floors clean and clear of dirt and grime will help keep your floors looking beautiful and lasting a lifetime. The most important consideration is water. Never, ever, ever use a wet mop when cleaning your floors. Swifters and damp cloths are the only cleaning methods that should be used. See below for Madera's recommended downloadable maintenance guides.
Madera floors can last a lifetime if they are well maintained and protected. A few simple steps can lead to long-lasting and beautiful floors without much maintenance.
- Place walk-off mats at all entrances to help collect dirt and debris.
- Install felt floor protectors underneath all furniture.
- Do not allow people to wear spiked heels on the floor, which will damage even the hardest wood floors.
- Pet claws should be properly trimmed at all times.
- Work boots and shoes that may have pebbles lodged in the soles should be removed prior to entering.
- Sweep or vacuum frequently.
- Clean floors using Swiffers and non-abrasive and caustic products (i.e. Bona/WOCA Cleaner or similar)
- Never wet mop or use saturated rags to clean your new floors. Water can seriously damage the wood and finish.
- All mats or rugs should be cleaned on a regular basis. They should also be moved occasionally to allow natural color changes caused by light to occur evenly in all areas.